Kevin Johnson, MD, FACS
522 West Riverside Avenue #202
Spokane, WA 99201
Phone: (509) 209-2171
Kevin Johnson, MD, FACS
608 Northwest Boulevard #301
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
Phone: (208) 676-8346
Dysport® & BOTOX® Cosmetic FAQ
At Advanced Aesthetics, we make it quick and easy to look fresher and younger. Dysport and BOTOX Cosmetic injections in our Spokane, WA and Coeur d’Alene, ID offices are popular treatments with both women and men. Although BOTOX has been in use for over 20 years and Dysport has been available in the U.S. since 2009, people still have questions and common misconceptions about these treatments.
If your question is not answered here or if you’re ready to visit Advanced Aesthetics in Coeur d’Alene or Spokane for a BOTOX or Dysport treatment, request your complimentary consultation or call (208) 676-8346.
Dr. Kevin Johnson
Welcome to Advanced Aesthetics. Throughout my years serving the body contouring and facial rejuvenation needs of people in Spokane and Coeur d’Alene, I’ve learned a lot—including how to meet my patients where they are. If you’re like most of our guests, you’re busy, you want to address a specific concern, but you might not know where to begin. We’re ready to help.Meet Dr. Kevin Johnson
What’s the difference between these products and injectable fillers?
Both types of products effectively soften wrinkles, but they work on different types of wrinkles in different ways.
- Dysport and BOTOX temporarily stop contractions of the facial muscles that cause wrinkles. Afterward, the wrinkles soften gradually. These wrinkle relaxers are used on dynamic wrinkles such as horizontal forehead creases, crow’s feet, and vertical lines between the eyebrows (sometimes called the 11s).
- Injectable fillers such as JUVÉDERM® and Restylane® smooth wrinkles instantly by adding volume beneath the surface of the skin. Certain fillers such as RADIESSE® also encourage collagen production in the treated areas for continued improvement. We typically use fillers for lines and folds around the nose and mouth.
Many patients choose both types of treatments for a more complete facial rejuvenation.
Discover ZO® Skin Health
We make it quick and easy to care for the health and beauty of your skin with ZO Skin Health’s line of proven and effective skincare products. Visit our online store now!Shop Now
What’s the difference between BOTOX and Dysport? Why do you prefer Dysport?
BOTOX and Dysport are made from a neurotoxin called botulinum toxin A and work in the same way. Dysport is made by Medicis, the company that makes the injectable fillers Restylane and Perlane®. BOTOX is made by Allergan, the manufacturer of JUVÉDERM and LATISSE®. The main differences are:
- Cost: While approximately 2.5 to 3 units of Dysport are required to get the same effect as 1 unit of BOTOX, Dysport usually costs less per treatment than BOTOX.
- Onset: The protein in Dysport is smaller than the type in BOTOX, and therefore tends to take effect sooner. While experiences vary, Dysport results typically develop in 1 to 2 days instead of 5 to 7 days for BOTOX.
- Duration: Since we first started using Dysport in 2009, we’ve found that it lasts about a month longer than BOTOX; therefore, treatments can be spaced farther apart.
For these reasons, we now use Dysport almost exclusively.
Are these treatments safe?
When administered by an experienced physician in proper doses, BOTOX and Dysport are very safe. Both products are FDA approved. BOTOX has been in use for over 20 years. Although Dysport has only been available in the U.S. since 2009, it has safely been used in Europe since 1988.
Do the treatments hurt?
We use a short, fine needle for Dysport and BOTOX injections, so the treatments are very tolerable. Most patients say they don’t feel any discomfort.
Comfort on Your Terms
If you’re feeling anxious about your injections, we offer self-administered nitrous oxide with Pro-Nox™. Sometimes also called “laughing gas,” Nitrous oxide is a safe, odorless gas that temporarily reduces feelings of anxiety and stress. Learn more during your consultation.
Will I look unnatural?
When you choose an experienced professional, you will lose your lines and wrinkles and not your natural expressions.
How can I get the best results?
For optimal results, it’s essential to choose a trained, experienced professional for your BOTOX or Dysport injections. The following precautions can help you avoid or minimize bruising at the injection sites:
- Stop the use of aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (such as ibuprofen), St. John’s wort, or high doses of vitamin E one week before treatment.
- Apply ice after treatment.
- Keep your head elevated for the first few hours.
Can these treatments prevent wrinkles from forming in the first place?
Our younger patients have Dysport or BOTOX treatments as a preventive measure against dynamic wrinkles. These treatments won’t prevent wrinkles caused by sun damage, but those concerns can be treated with laser skin rejuvenation.Back to Top