Amazing advances in CoolSculpting technology continue to revolutionize this popular body contouring procedure. The CoolSculpting® Elite treatment we offer today represents a significant evolution since the “fat freezing” treatment debuted over a decade ago as an exciting alternative to liposuction.
Exactly how far have we come? Let’s look back at the advances in CoolSculpting technology that have led us to where we are now. We’ll also explore where this “cool” procedure could be heading next!
How CoolSculpting Works
Before we share its impressive evolution, let’s look at what CoolSculpting is and how it benefits patients. Using a process called cryolipolysis, CoolSculpting essentially freezes and destroys fat cells, which are highly vulnerable to cold temperatures. The treatment uses special applicators to target and eliminate unwanted areas of fat, leaving surrounding tissue and the skin’s surface unharmed. As the fat cells gradually die, the body eventually absorbs and metabolizes them. Unlike surgical liposuction, CoolSculpting is non-invasive and requires no incisions or downtime.
CoolSculpting Makes Its Debut
Believe it or not, the birth of CoolSculpting was inspired by a summertime staple—the frozen popsicle. Harvard University scientists observed changes in the fat dimpling of children’s cheeks as they consumed popsicles, which signaled a possible link between cold and fat loss. Their epiphany coined the cute yet scientific term “popsicle panniculitis” and spurred further studies on how cold temperatures can selectively target and destroy fat cells. Ultimately, this paved the way for CoolSculpting as a non-invasive fat reduction solution, which was approved by the FDA in 2010.
Continued Advances in CoolSculpting Technology
Since the debut of the original CoolSculpting machine in 2010, evolutions in this procedure have resulted in our ability to deliver better, more efficient results. Here are some of the significant CoolSculpting technological advances we’ve seen so far:
- Applicator variety: The new generation of applicators offers a better variety of shapes and sizes to help us treat more areas more effectively.
- Better efficiency: The ability to use multiple applicators simultaneously reduces treatment time and delivers better, faster treatment results.
- Expanded treatment: Originally only approved to treat the flanks, CoolSculpting Elite is now FDA-approved to treat 9 areas of the body.
- CoolTone: Its 2019 introduction allowed us to address fat removal and muscle toning to enhance CoolSculpting results even further.
- CoolSculpting Elite: Introduced in 2021, it represents the latest generation of CoolSculpting technology engineered with enhanced efficiency, customization, and patient comfort.
Where We Are Today: CoolSculpting Elite
The CoolSculpting Elite machine at our disposal today maximizes your time and results. It has numerous design upgrades enable us to customize your treatment and improve your experience in ways we couldn’t imagine back in the early days of CoolSculpting. Upgraded features include:
- C-shaped applicators: We can offer improved fit and comfort using 7 shapes and sizes that address all types of bodies and concerns, including delicate and hard-to-reach areas.
- DualSculpting: This efficient approach allows us to freeze more fat in less time, treating up to 4 areas at once.
- Enhanced results: Cooling occurs faster, and we can remove a higher fat percentage during a single treatment—improvements are observed in weeks versus months!
- Better design: Sleeker machines are quieter and provide patients and providers with a more comfortable and enjoyable environment.
The Future of CoolSculpting
Ongoing research and development continue to fuel the potential of where CoolSculpting will take us next. We’re intrigued by the possibility of exploring new, untapped treatment areas that can address a broader range of patient concerns. Ongoing developments in cooling technology may also signal the arrival of future upgrades to make your CoolSculpting experience even more efficient and enjoyable. And, while CoolSculpting Elite already requires little to no downtime, efforts are underway to shorten recovery time while accelerating results.
Many of our patients currently benefit from combining CoolSculpting Elite with procedures like CoolTone® and Profound™ Skin Tightening to further sculpt and tone the body. Our team is also excited by the idea of pairing CoolSculpting Elite with new, synergistic body contouring and skin-tightening treatments on the horizon. We continue to stay abreast of advancements in our industry to provide you with even more options for looking and feeling your best.
Begin Your Journey!
Now that you’ve seen how far CoolSculpting has come since its inception, are you inspired to begin your aesthetic journey with us? In addition to CoolSculpting, we offer a range of nonsurgical cosmetic procedures that fit every need and budget. Let’s get started! We encourage you to request a consultation with us or call our office at (208) 676-8346 to schedule an appointment.